A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
▪ Minimum of 10 years in corporate communications, public relations and internal communications experience, including a minimum of 5 years in management and leadership roles.
▪ An understanding of the business needs and competitive challenges of the healthcare industry is a plus.
▪ Proven track record in creating results-oriented communications programs that build brand, support an organization’s reputation, and drive internal employee engagement.
▪ Broad knowledge of the technical elements involved in communications focused on engaging a variety of stakeholders.
▪ Crisis communications/issues management leadership experience within a complex organization.
▪ Blended creative and analytical thinking; able to demonstrate value of communications programs.
▪ Excels in communicating in a variety of formal and informal presentation settings, large and small, both inside and outside the organization, and issuing cogent and consistent written messages that build confidence and achieve desired outcomes.
▪ An agile learner and fast study who can quickly understand Sentara’s business model for healthcare.
▪ Demonstrated skills in team building and organizational development.
▪ Conducts all business engagements with the highest professionalism, honesty and integrity.
▪ Excellent problem solving and negotiating skills.
▪ Excellent organizational and project management skills; can balance strategic thinking with daily execution.
▪ Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Characteristics and Competencies:
▪ Service-oriented, hands-on, collaborative, team-oriented and customer-focused.
▪ A consensus-builder; one who has a demonstrated history of having unified various groups toward the achievement of a common goal.
▪ Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable living in ambiguity. Able to provide strong leadership during times of change; possesses the vision and the sensitivity to sustain a cultural transformation process consistent with the mission and values of Sentara Healthcare.
▪ Results-oriented and persistent in achieving success and an inspiring vision of the future.
▪ Can analyze complex situations and lead both individuals and groups in developing and implementing successful outcomes.
▪ Demonstrated commitment to the development of diverse and inclusive teams.
▪ An inclusive leader with outstanding interpersonal skills, who empowers, motivates and challenges staff, while also holding them accountable; a team player who has an open and non-competitive leadership style that promotes partnerships and builds trust and strong relationships.
▪ Excellent people management and leadership competencies that will allow her/him to serve as a mentor in furthering the leadership skills of employees.
▪ Is entrepreneurial, innovative, and “thinks outside the box.”
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively and be open to the ideas of others. Can present data and translate complex issues into comprehensible ideas in a concise and easily understood manner.
None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
Preferred: None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
OtherEssential Functions and Responsibilities
The following represent essential functions and responsibilities of the Vice President. They are not listed in any particular order of priority.
- Leads, develops, drives communication strategy, messaging and programs
- Tells story of the organization by creating a communications platform in messaging that represents the brand and reputation of Sentara.
- Ensures overall stewardship of the corporate brand, positioning and messaging.
- Extends executive support to the CEO and executive team by taking responsibility for writing, creating presentations and talking points as the voice of the CEO and executive team.
- Develops all internal and external communication, inclusive of:
- Company news/announcements
- Crisis communications
- Public relations
- Media relations
- Social media/community functions Drives thought leadership.
- Juggles diverse strategic and tactical projects.
- Utilizes superb written, verbal, interpersonal, and public speaking skills as the spokesperson for the organization.
- Directs and participates in the development of an annual budget that supports the mission of the Hospital, the System and the Health Plan with the commitment to patient care standards, and strategic initiatives.
- Maintains compliance with laws, rules, and regulations governing hospitals and standards of accrediting bodies and initiating charges where required.
- Is a fast study when understanding Sentara’s business model for healthcare
- Conducts all business engagements with the highest professionalism, honesty and integrity.
- Manages external resources (i.e. PR agencies, consultants, etc)
- Partners with Human Resources through internal communications to ensure messages to employees are engaging
- Recruits and retains high-performing employees by developing and maintaining satisfaction and engagement programs.
- Manages team in accordance with the Sentara Healthcare operating philosophy. Establishes performance goals, position expectations, allocates labor resources and ensures leadership of the health system, health plan, and medical group are represented in a way that supports the brand of the organization.
- Communicates openly and effectively with a wide variety of individuals to ensure that needs are met and the organization’s reputation is enhanced, while maintaining strict confidentiality when necessary.
- Fosters an internal culture of teamwork and integration that drives excellent service, quality, diversity of thought, an engaging work environment and overall performance improvement.
- Tracks and measures results and the impact of the organization (i.e. positive vs. negative sentiments)
- Implements and/or develops systems to monitor and ensure compliance with productivity standards, performance standards and position competencies.
- entrepreneurial, innovative, and “thinks outside the box.”
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively and be open to the ideas of others. Can present data and translate complex issues into comprehensible ideas in a concise and easily understood manner.